Carbon Monoxide Gas Detection

CAS Number: 630-08-0
TWA: 30ppm
STEL: 200ppm

Properties

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless gas. To the human senses it is invisible which poses a serious risk. CO is a highly toxic asphyxiant gas.

Dangers

You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. Low PPM doses of CO can cause headaches and dizziness. If the victim is removed to fresh air no permanent damages will result. High doses can be fatal. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases, paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.

Where is it found

Carbon Monoxide is a by-product of combustion and will appear naturally in any situation where burning has taken place. Common applications are steel mills, garages, loading docks, electrical utilities, slaughterhouses, automatic fire suppression systems, food industries, breweries, cellars, laboratories, hospitals, nurseries, climate control and greenhouses.

Carbon Monoxide products